[MUD-Dev] Inside eGenesis: The Simulation of Power and Politics

Chris Holko cholko at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 12:35:55 CEST 2003

From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu>

> Though being exiled does not ban your game account, it is quite
> likely that if your character was exiled, you would quit the game
> since we only allow one character per game account. You would
> basically lose all the progress you've made in the game so far and
> have to begin entirely anew, which is very discouraging to say the
> least. Not surprisingly, some players are against the whole idea
> of the DP ever using the exile power. Some players have theorized
> that if the DP ever did use the power to exile an enemy, it would
> be a pyrrhic victory at best since doing so would immediately
> result in not only in revenge from that enemy's allies but also
> the general animosity of a playerbase fearful of exile. Thus, it
> would seem that brinksmanship would be the best strategy, to
> threaten one's enemies with exile but never quite actually do so.

I do not like this idea, and I don't think it should have a place in
any game where people pay money to participate.  I don't see how a
game developer can justify allowing a player to essentially ruin
another players game play.  Why not just let them have the switch to
the server?  This is essentially the ultimate PK.

If it does happen I doubt it will survive more than one DP.  I am
really curious how the developer is going to handle the player who
loses his investment if this comes to happen.  If the player is very
vocal and has the resources they could make life miserable for those
who run and play the game.