[MUD-Dev] Academic rejection of male/female paper

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Fri Jul 11 22:15:38 CEST 2003

From: Castronova, Edward

> I thought many on the list might be interested (and some happy!)
> to find that the paper I wrote on male/female price differences
> has been rejected by the prestigious American Economic Review. The
> reviewer praised the methods and expressed confidence in the
> validity of the result. Furthermore, he/she did not balk at all at
> the possibility that these numbers might imply some kind of sexual
> discrimination. However, he/she just felt that the affairs of "a
> small group of individuals who play virtual reality games" are not
> very important.

Let's bin intellectual property law too.

I guess as a philosopher I'd be interested in their defence of the
notion of real, one presumes that they are using real as in the
sense of 'real property law' etc however materialism \ physicalism
is not that easy to defend, what's more when we are talking about
'value' economic or other wise ideas of physical 'real' don't really
come into it e.g.  how would we defend the value structure of art.

To be less academic about it the comment just sounds pompous and
uninformed. But then again I spend a lot of my time thinking about
the value of avatars too so I guess I have a position to defend.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com