[MUD-Dev] Internationalisation: The effect of Tongues in virtualsocietes

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Jul 11 22:40:31 CEST 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 07:07  PM, Peter "Pietro" Rossmann wrote:

> And so, with the new servers/games being more and more
> concentrated on group/social life, my concern was - are we doomed
> to be separated because of language even in virtual worlds? Or
> will the need to be in virtual world be stronger?

It is possible.  It is also possible that the desire to communicate
will interest people in learning (or improving) additional
languages.  For example, I was online in Star Wars Galaxies earlier
this week during the morning.  I discovered a large proportion of
players were chatting in French rather than English.  So I pulled
out my very rusty French skills (studied for 6 years, but haven't
used for 20+ years) and started chatting in bad French.  It was
great fun.

Amanda Walker