[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Active and Inactive currency

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Tue Apr 27 10:05:48 CEST 2004

From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
> Rayzam writes:
>> From: "Alistair Milne" <krug at krug.org.uk>

>>> Why would someone do that, break the cartel?  Because even
>>> though they reduce their margins a little, they still get more
>>> overall profit for a while because they get more customers
>>> looking for a bargin.  Everyone's always looking for a fast
>>> buck...

>> So wouldn't the crafters switch to a different product? If
>> someone is truly into making monkey, then they won't really care
>> about whether they make money by baking cookies or bread, or
>> making gyros or burritos. Most crafting systems don't tie the
>> crafter down into such a small manufacturing niche, for the
>> simple reason that if the example above occurs, you lose
>> players. Idle crafters will leave. Crafters who can't make any
>> needed products will leave.

> I wonder if a distinction should be made between "crafter" and
> "businessman".  In the game world, I'm a crafter.  I like to make
> stuff and to see people use it.  I couldn't care less if I made
> money from it.  If I was working for a business that let me craft
> an interesting item that people used and I made a nominal salary,
> I'd be a happy camper.  I think that a lot of "crafters" feel that
> same way.

> As a crafter, my only interest in money is usually that I HAVE to
> worry about the stuff so that I can make stuff that people will
> use.  Games seem to happily intermingle business and crafting.

Yep, in most systems, crafting and business go together. Much of it
is to give a variety of options for a service class. Keep em busy,
instead of idle.

I wonder if there's support to split crafter and businessman? SWG
has different paths on the trees for it. Anyone know of a pure
businessman?

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com