[MUD-Dev] Re: What is an MMOG?

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Tue Aug 3 07:17:34 CEST 2004

HRose wrote:
> Adam Martin wrote:

> When I think to a MMORPG I still have the old romantic idea of
> crafting a world. So I consider D2 right out of the concept.

> It's a step backwards in the romantic attempt at crafting a
> world. I think there's potential "in the other directions". Where
> what is outside your character has a role.

Ah. This appears to be the problem: you are unwilling to accept a
definition of "MMOG" that does not include the phrase "virual world"
somewhere in it.

That's not going to work - there are too many games and too many
players who cannot simply be ignored, nor told that their game(s) of
choice doesn't count because it's doesn't have a sufficiently
complex virtual world.

If all you want to talk about is virtual worlds (nothing wrong with
that), then at least use an acronym that makes that explicit -
e.g. "MOVW = Massive Online Virtual Worlds" or some such. Please
don't misappropriate an existing one and then try to redefine it to
fit your narrow vision. Even the label MMORPG doesn't necessarily
imply a "world" element; I'm not sure what label would be most
appropriate for you, but I'm guessing it would have "VW" in it it
somewhere.

Or...you could instead accept that these terms are much more generic
than the subsets you are interested in, and not try to declaim that
other games not in your subset are not valid for the main term.

>> We at Grex classify Diablo2 as an MMOG, albeit a slender one. The
>> key issue for us is whether the instances are linked, and to what
>> extent. The facts that:

> Well, it's a MPOG - multiplayer persistent online game Surely
> isn't "massive", where the number of players is an element for the
> gameplay. The persistence is also completely related to your own
> character since the world outside doesn't exist.

If you re-read my reply, you should see I explained why this was
wrong. If there's something you don't understand or disagree with,
quote it and I will try to explain further / better.

Adam M