[MUD-Dev] Re: What is an MMOG?

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Thu Aug 5 07:19:21 CEST 2004

Adam Martin wrote:

> That's not going to work - there are too many games and too many
> players who cannot simply be ignored, nor told that their game(s)
> of choice doesn't count because it's doesn't have a sufficiently
> complex virtual world.

No, you don't understand. I'm not saying that one genre is "good" or
better, despite it's my choice. I'm just saying that MMORPGs have
potential in their nature and instanced faked games like Diablo 2 or
CoH simply don't use that potential. They are another genre and it's
a genre a lot more near to single-player or cooperative games.

Or, in Raph's words, "underutilizing the genre".

I'm just saying that there are alternate ways. And these ways are
always not considered nor even perceived and just because the market
is running after the players offering more and more the same with
nothing more left in the real creativity.

The players aren't attracted and fascinated by what they expect. But
by what they don't foresee.

-HRose / Abalieno