[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Wed Aug 4 01:41:27 CEST 2004

cruise wrote:

> The most entertaining combats are those which take a long time,
> which require every bit of ingenuity to emerge triumphant. So why
> do most games require several thousand odd mobs to be slain for
> the higher levels? Replacing 1000 easy fights with 5 or 10 hard
> fights could produce the same levelling rate, with a much greater
> entertainment value.

I'd say the most entertaining combats are those which you want to
engage in.  The "grind" combats are those combats you must do in
order to advance.  The "fun" combats are those you choose to do in
order to gain some personal benefit - loot, the experience (I mean
real experience, not little numbers ticking over), the challenge, or
whatever you get out of it.

Increasing the complexity of an engagement the player never wanted
in the first place wouldn't, I should think, help matters any.

--
bje