[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Thu Aug 5 11:23:22 CEST 2004

Byron Ellacott wrote:

> I'd say the most entertaining combats are those which you want to
> engage in.  The "grind" combats are those combats you must do in
> order to advance.  The "fun" combats are those you choose to do in
> order to gain some personal benefit - loot, the experience (I mean
> real experience, not little numbers ticking over), the challenge,
> or whatever you get out of it.

> Increasing the complexity of an engagement the player never wanted
> in the first place wouldn't, I should think, help matters any.

Thank you phrasing the problem better than I did :P

To re-iterate, then: "How do we make players /want/ to fight
monsters?"  Everything so far seems to suggest making combats more
dynamic, allowing players (and mobs) to counter and counter-counter.

Are there any other thoughts?

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"