[MUD-Dev] MEDIA: .hack//SIGN Japanise animated series

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Wed Aug 4 23:51:25 CEST 2004

Scott Tengelin wrote:

> It really hearkens to the fact that in most MMOs, you rarely
> interact with other players unless they're your friends or guild
> mates.

One of the things that MMOs tend to emulate best about real
life. Most people are not interested in the purely social aspect of
the game. They have friends and the rest of the PCs are effectively
NPCs to them. Many of these PCNPCs are ripe for interaction if you
choose and will generally be far wittier than the NPCs run by
scripts. Some of them, alternately, deserve far worse than the
available .squelch.

MMOs work because we can spend time with our friends (and make new
ones), in a persistent world doing interesting things, not because
there are so many of us there doing it.