[MUD-Dev] Re: What is an MMOG?

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Fri Aug 6 17:07:30 CEST 2004

Dana V. Baldwin wrote:

> Are you saying that because a portion of the CoH combat exists in
> instanced dungeons (like AO for example) that it doesn't qualify
> for MMORPG status? That seems absurd to me. That would qualify
> many other games as non MMORPG.

Definitions exist only so we can talk, they are arbitrary. I don't
care what "MMORPG" precisely means because it's not a rule. It's a
choice. What is important is that you know what I mean and I know
what you mean. I really don't think it's useful to define rules to
decide what qualifies to be considered a MMORPG and what not.

What I did say is just that particular implementations of this genre
(like CoH) don't use its true potential. It's not about classifying
it a MMOG or not. It's about considering if you are really use your
resources at best or if you are underutilizing a potential you have
available.

-HRose / Abalieno