[MUD-Dev] Better Combat (long)

Freeman, Jeff jfreeman at soe.sony.com
Tue Aug 10 19:19:27 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence wrote:

> http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040802/full/040802-19.html

> The contention is:

> --<cut>--
	--<and snipped>--
> Byrne speculates that the behaviour may actually be widespread,
> but that it could be limited to those who are expert in their
> field. She thinks the ability to falsify is somehow linked to the
> vast database of knowledge that experts such as grand masters - or
> scientists - accumulate. "People who know their area are more
> likely to look for ways that things can go wrong for them," she
> says.
> --<cut>--

On a related note, "Smart People Believe Weird Things" by Michael
Shermer.

  http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0002F4E6-8CF7-1D49-90FB809EC5880000

<-- quote -->
  Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at
  defending beliefs they arrived at for nonsmart reasons.

  Rarely do any of us sit down before a table of facts, weigh them
  pro and con, and choose the most logical and rational explanation,
  regardless of what we previously believed. Most of us, most of the
  time, come to our beliefs for a variety of reasons having little
  to do with empirical evidence and logical reasoning. Rather, such
  variables as genetic predisposition, parental predilection,
  sibling influence, peer pressure, educational experience and life
  impressions all shape the personality preferences that, in
  conjunction with numerous social and cultural influences, lead us
  to our beliefs. We then sort through the body of data and select
  those that most confirm what we already believe, and ignore or
  rationalize away those that do not.
<-- end quote -->