[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Tom Hunter thunter at compassrosegames.com
Wed Aug 11 04:27:58 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> I'd even go so far as to say that when it comes to a public
> company, it's downright unethical to EVER have any goal but
> increased profit for your shareholders. Indulging personal desires
> is very poor form when you're spending other people's money.

I very strongly agree with Matt.  It also happens that really
compelling content makes money and really bad content does not.
Anyone looking at developing a game as a question of good design
Vs. profitability is failing to understand what is going on.

Brad McQuaid wrote that he was trying to design the best game he
could when he was working on Everquest.  The best game he could
design sold really well.  Does anyone think he would have increased
profits by building the second best game that he could?

Economics and design are linked like Siamese twins.  If one is not
healthy the other gets sick really fast.

Tom Hunter