[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Wed Aug 11 12:35:19 CEST 2004

Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Michael Hartman wrote:

>> For Threshold, I have definitely found that every effort I make
>> to build community has improved retention. When people feel like
>> quitting the game is similar to giving up one's friends, it is a
>> lot harder to quit.

> But is anyone even questioning this?  I think pretty much everyone
> agrees that stronger community bonds leads to greater retention.
> Yet many question whether forced grouping or forced downtime is
> effective in creating stronger community bonds.

You don't think that actually teaming up with people in the game to
accomplish a shared goal is something that fosters community?

How can the opposite even POSSIBLY be true?

> I, personally, have established very few social or community bonds
> through typical MMORPG gameplay.  In fact, I can't think of a
> single instance.  Instead, most MMORPG friendships that I've had
> have come out of online game design discussions.

Ugh. I feel terrible for you. The overwhelming majority of off-game
discussion mediums are absolute filth filled with flamers and
trolls. The very thought of making my MMORPG friends that way makes
me shudder.

Surely you can admit that if not the majority, at least a
significant portion of, players make their MMORPG buddies through
actually playing the game?

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.