[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat (was Better Combat)

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Fri Aug 13 12:10:36 CEST 2004

Paolo Piselli wrote:

> ...and a thought to lead off discussion on player learning: -
> well, since IMO its all about cognitive-load, then the natural
> conclusion is to increase cognitive-load over time.  However, our
> constraints put a limit on this in order to keep the game
> accessible.  I'd propose to allow players of all capacities to be
> successful at combat, yet give benefits to those capable at
> performing at a higher level (less downtime, more XP, whatever).

Is learning cognitively interesting? It is arguable that chess is
interesting because each game you learn and improve (against
suitably skilled opponents, anyway). The first few levels of an RPG
can be interesting, because you're learning how the fighting works
(assuming it's sufficiently different from other systems to require
"learning"). Boredom sets in once the 100% successful tactic is
discovered and learning ceases.

To use the fighting stances example discussed elsewhere, with
various foot positioning affecting the moves available - assume each
player starts out with one or two stances. Once the player is
comfortable with them, they can talk to a trainer who will teach
them another stance, another "move". Then another, each time, once
they're comfortable with using the stance, discovered when it is and
isn't appropriate, they can learn another.

You might liken it to teaching someone how to play chess by starting
only with the rook and bishop. Then adding the queen, then the king,
the pawns, then finally the knight.

The player will naturally stop once they reach their own cognitive
limit - and even if they don't, and just collect stances for the
sake of it, they won't know how or when to use them, which is much
the same effect.

If the starting stances are broadly useful, with each "higher"
stance being more and more specific but correspondingly advantageous
in that situation, then starting players can fight effectively, but
skilled players gain an extra in the more exotic situations.

I'd postulate that skill allows you to handle more complexity (as a
general rule of thumb) - the more you can handle "autonomously", the
more you can turn your attention to additional processes. And
generally, xomplexity can and should, offer greater control,
fine-tuning. Auto-aim, for example, compared to manual
aiming. Auto-aim is simpler, but manual aiming allows you to pick
your targets (headshots, or thrusters in a space game) for more
control, and therefore a combat advantage. Or, at least, it /should/
be a combat advantage. If it isn't, then that's where the problem
lies.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"