[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat (was Better Combat)

Paolo Piselli ppiselli at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 16:35:59 CEST 2004

--- Paul Schwanz <pschwanz at comcast.net> wrote:

> Don't you find it interesting that by far the most popular
> entertainment activity (watching TV) places very little in the way
> of demands on participants.  In addition, by far the most popular
> online games (solitaire, hearts, etc.) also seem to not be
> particularly demanding of the player.

> Are "interesting" activities inherently unpopular?

Ah, but thinking doesn't stop just because a participant is passive.
I'd say the brain is much more active when watching a sitcom than
when watching a screen full of static.  The language centers of the
brain will be active in interpreting the dialogue, the viewer will
actively be monitoring the characters and their relationships and
the implications of their actions to the plot.

But I see what you mean about these not being very demanding -
perhaps people are looking for activities which are just demanding
enough to distract them from the real world, but not so demanding
that they can't relax?

-Paolo

=====
Paolo Piselli