[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: Effective progress methods for MUD-Dev

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climaxgroup.com
Fri Aug 20 11:37:01 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence wrote:

> It could be interesting to implement a number of his observations
> on the list.  For instance I've considered dedicating MUD-Dev one
> day per week to "What are the important problems/questions in the
> field?"  The idea is that on that day of the week only posts which
> addressed that question would be moderated.  A similar pattern
> could work for "Great Thoughts Time" (!tm).

I think it's a great idea. Maybe the way to start is to have the
first questions organise the current body of knowledge in order to
get everyone up to speed. For example "What are current approaches
to implementing physics in virtual worlds and how do they compare?"
as a precursor to "How can be take physics implementations in
virtual worlds forward?". As Richard and I have been saying on his
Designing Virtual World board and Noah has been saying at Skotos, a
thorough survey of current codebases and approaches would be really
valuable.