[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 25 10:01:24 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence:

> Actually the cynical mould is a bit worse than that.  In the early
> days of the product you want lots of players on the servers as
> that creates an impression of crowd, business, popularity etc.
> Later, once the player base is well established and large what you
> actually want is for almost all them to never play (thus saving
> bandwidth, hardware, networking, presence costs etc), leaving a
> small enough percentage playing to maintain the sense of vibrant
> activity for the new players to replace your churn.

Yes, this makes sense for the marketing but doesn't work in the
reality. Players don't pay for a game they don't play.

I still believe that marketing works if you have a product to
offer. You cannot, instead, build a successful product by just
following marketing rules because the marketing itself should be
derived from the quality of the offer.

Just above that you say: "From a marketing perspective you never
want to make it easy or attractive for a customer to decide to leave
your service."

Well, that applies also to what you write below. Incentivate your
players to "not play" is again about making it easy for them to
leave.

-HRose / Abalieno