[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

William Leader leader at k2wrpg.org
Wed Aug 25 20:48:33 CEST 2004

  I guess I wasn't clear at first but you nail the idea down
  better. What I propose is tailoring versions (shards) of the game
  to different users, because if there is anything that we can learn
  from the diverse ideas that come from this list about what a game
  should be about, its that one size does not fit all.

  I understand the idea about making subscription services sticky,
  and I don't think that goal and a varied pricing structure are
  exclusive. While I don't now what any real world numbers would be,
  I propose you consider the following anecdotal evidence. I paid
  $9.95 a month for 3 months before calling it quits. That
  represents $89.55 in gross sales. Had an alternative shard that
  could have been more "sticky" for my play style been available, at
  a price break, I would still be playing, So lets say that instead
  of 9 months at $9.95, they could have realized say 36 months at $5
  a month generating $180 in gross sales. and I can assure you that
  the Cost for me would not have been an extra $90 (I speculate
  since that my lower utilization of server and network resources
  would mean lower costs too.) So by forcing me into one
  price/options model, they made the game less sticky, lost a
  content generator (since players generate content for each other),
  and lost an opportunity for revenue. But like I said before, I
  don't have real world marketing numbers to examine.

-Will Leader