[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 23:31:18 CEST 2004

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Actually, that is an interesting idea for a role-playing
> environment. At least if you wrap it up in the fictional world
> somehow. E.g: you have to apply to some school master to receive
> more training. If you mandate that the essay is in-character, and
> only accept those which are in line with the character
> description, then you probably could discourage some
> non-roleplayers from playing... while still having fun game
> mechanics. You could do the same for the PvP: after killing
> another "hero" (Player Character which is under some God's
> protection) you need to explain your actions to the God you
> worship through a long prayer. If you are unable to please the God
> the you will be be punished.

I thought of something like this as possible solution to "how to
support an RP server." Since larger games don't have the manpower to
police the players directly, the best you can do is try to limit the
number of non-RPers entering the server. This can be done through
several methods, such as higher fees. But I thought a "write an
in-character story" requirement might be a good method, especially
if you can later turn the process over to the players (perhaps with
"votes" for/against a particular story). Of course, you will have
elitism and ostracism and so on, but any congregation of roleplayers
will have that anyway.