[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Aug 26 01:43:51 CEST 2004

"Steven King" <steve at madrogue.com> writes:

> in-game.  For Virtual Worlds (where the game intends to model
> reality), breaking immersion should be the last thing a designer
> should do.

Why is letter writing breaking immersion? If it is required before
the kill then I agree, but not if it is required after the kill has
been detected. Assuming you write the letter ingame and send it to
someone who deals with it IC, your thief guild master for
instance. The 500 words requirement will of course have to go.

  "Dear Mr. Smith,

  we in the Illegal Thieves Guild are concerned about the
  authorities' interests in our affairs. Actions such as the one you
  admit to have committed certainly don't help. We don't really
  think that killing this person was needed given the
  circumstances. We will however clear up this mess for you, but
  expect to cover the costs and run some unpaid errands for us in
  the near future."

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/