[MUD-Dev] SOC DGN - Spawn locations

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Mon Aug 30 04:30:38 CEST 2004

Brian Miller wrote:
> Brian Hook wrote:

>> On top of this, it forces players to spread out a little too
>> much, possibly ruining the socialization factor.  You basically
>> set up an invisible force field around players, and with enough
>> players, mobs may not be able to get in edgewise.

> CoH works this way now.  Enemies will not spwan within line of
> sight to a player.  In CoH there are no 'key mobs' or locations
> that a player could be denied access to.  Even in crowded areas
> there never seems to be a lack of enemies to fight as it is very
> easy for things to be out of line of sight.

And the negative result Brian Hook alluded to is exactly what has
happened in CoH.

There is virtually zero socialization. It is the quietest, loneliest
MMORPG I have ever played, and I've played tons.

It feels like a single player game the majority of the time.

>  Lesson: You never know what will or will not work until someone
>  tries it.

Very true.

Conclusion from the Lesson: CoH tried it and it doesn't work.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.