[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Freeman Freeman
Thu May 27 13:54:14 CEST 2004

From: John Buehler

> Perhaps in their current incarnation.  Charge $60 a head to=20
> play your immersive and enjoyable game for 8 hours and you=20
> won't find anyone yelling "Looking for group!" in your game=20
> either.  That's because the visit to your game is a=20
> significant experience, to be planned with friends - instead=20
> of a throw-away hobbiest drive-by thing to do when bored.

People typically don't visit virtual worlds, though, they live in
them.

I don't think the theme park model is where VWs are headed.  Though
we're likely to see 'theme parks' within VW's, they're not going to
*be* the VW.

'Course, always in motion the future is, and all that.  But you
don't get to buy a house and setup a shop in Disney Land.

Otherwise, I agree.

I think we'll see robots replace the human-actors at Disney World
before we see human-actors replacing the bots in MMO's.