[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Tue Nov 2 18:04:43 CET 2004

> Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>> If it is a world, the management of UO shouldn't be of any
>> concern to me. I am not going to walk around in a world and ask
>> myself "Hmm, wonder if the management of UO would disapprove of
>> this or that?". It seems perfectly reasonable that if the physics
>> of the world allows me to innovate, I should very well benefit
>> from it.

In the best of all worlds I agree with this. Cheating and griefing
are flaws in design or implementation whether those flaws are in
thought process or technical limitation.

If your world allows it, and you don't like it, fix it. Rule number
one.

That said, lots of the time we don't have the time, inclination or
ability to fix it. Sure, we CAN do anything...given time, men and
money but I don't think most of us have figured out how to have an
endless supply of those. So when we choose not to correct the flaw
we have to make the game right by placing arbitrary rules out that
say "Doing THIS is cheating and we'll ban you!"

That completely sucks as it breaks immersion. What's worse, we
generally don't list these things in a place where the average
customer of ours can be made aware of them. We live in some sort of
quasi denial and hope that the 10% of the people who play the game
and read the boards will disseminate this information through the
use of a few game world gods, who in many large commercial games
can't tell north on a compass reliably twince in a row. They can
however pull the BAN lever pretty well and that can be used to cure
a lot of ills, albeit poorly.

Fixing them is generally, IMHO, the much better choice.