[MUD-Dev] [OT] Hi all an first time MMORPG designer triestogetinthe loop

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 6 17:30:40 CET 2004

"Steven Yeah" <burpie_yeah at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Like firstly, just to say hi to all, and secondly, to ask which is
> the most difficult aspect of developing a mmorpg for 10k, relative
> to a mud for perhaps 30 or 300?

>>From a technical standpoint, I'd say distributing it over multiple
systems. Distributed servers aren't exactly a straight-forward
development project. There are lots of nuances, twists, and
unexpected problems. Low-populace MUDs don't need to be distributed,
but in order to scale into tens of thousands, you most likely need a
cluster of CPUs to handle the workload. The communication and
synchronization processes (mainly for data consistancy) are rather
complex.