[MUD-Dev] Semireliable UDP-based protocol development

Mark Terrano (XBOX) markte at microsoft.com
Sun Nov 7 09:56:43 CET 2004

Scott Hilbert wrote:

> I'm planning on building a simple network simulator program
> (i.e. listens on certain local ports and artificially
> lags/reorders packets passing through it in realtime)

I always used the Netsim tool from MIcrosoft - its not free, but it
is fairly common I think it somes with Internet Information Server
or other MS products and may be part of MSDN.  You can go a long way
by simulating those things on the sender side in the code - thats
always a good first 'check step' to drop packets on the sending
side, send them out of order, duplicated, and any manner of poorly
behaved network traffic.  Make sure you understand how you are
handling flood conditions and think about any possible race
conditions (I didn't anticipate I'd be on a network with sub
millisecond Ping times - and it really threw my code int a spin when
I found one - which also happened to be the day of an important
tournament, which was a story in itself)