[MUD-Dev] The Lag monster...

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Nov 9 03:55:43 CET 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Kiztent Hatepriest wrote:

> Note to self: don't post before coffee.

> I can see how optimizing the data sent might help performance, but
> I don't think data transfer is the bottleneck in regular gameplay.

I think it depends on the game and on the client in question.  I've
played MMORPGs before where the limiting factor was definately
network lag, as I kept a pretty close eye on network performance
with traceroutes and such--there was a direct correlation between
packet round-trip time and the lag I was experiencing.  But since
I've moved and switched broadband providers I've really only
experienced server lag.  To that end (and I think I mentioned this
earlier in the thread, though the message may have bounced), I'm
quite interested in seeing how the new crop of PCI Express graphics
cards is used for server-side processing.  I would like to believe
that massively parallel floating point computations could be useful
for pathfinding, physics, and possibly other simulation work on the
server, but I don't have the experience to back up that speculation.

Sean