[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Tue Nov 16 09:05:50 CET 2004

Johan wrote:
> Ben Hawes <cruise at casual-tempest.net> wrote:

>> One of the reasons I feel CoH has done so well is because you can
>> create a distinct and /unchanging/ persona in game. Your costume
>> is your costume and you don't look complete different every few
>> levels, which leads to a greater sense of attachment to your
>> avatar. And you can learn to recognise others on sight...

> I would never play a game where I looked the same for 3 years. New
> items are the best thing there are in MMORPGs. Also changing your
> look would go against the "rule" of a superhero so this decision
> is understandable.

And this is why there is no "perfect" design :P We are obviously
playing these games with completely different rewards in mind.

> As for +1 sword's being a rare thing. They are, maybe not a +1
> sword since it's a too small a change to spend 4 hours raiding
> for, but "uber" item's certainly are difficult to get, something
> that doesn’t go down well with the casual player of course.

Who said anything about raids? Why should that be the only way of
making items rare. The point I was trying to make is there are no
"uber" items that are an absolute must have, and everyone will be
raiding for. Currently, it seems that, "The equipment maketh the
character." I'd rather have a world where player skill makes
determines success, and equipment is simply there for customization
and flavouring.

> When it comes to people seeing equipment as "the junk I use for
> now" I completely agree. I play like that too depending on how
> fast I can level. In a game like WoW I would just power to 50 or
> 60 with whatever I get my hands on since you level so fast, then I
> start worrying about items. A fast levelling curve encourages you
> to skip content and honestly, since when is it fun being max
> level? It must be like going to the moon, sure it must have been
> fun planning and building, anticipation and finally going, but
> once there, what the heck is there to do?

Endless things, limited only by your imagination. As there is in
this little room I type this from, on the train to work, etc. If
there is nothing to do once you max levels, then the game is simply
not fun. The game should be fun to play. The levels - well, a lot of
people I starting to wonder if we should even have levels.

> A slow curve however ensure long-term play and makes you consume
> every little bit of content there is for your current level
> range. Of course, the time it takes to level must not go to
> extremes but what sense of accomplishment are there when you max
> out after a few weeks?

If that's he only sense of accomplishment in thegame, non, but a
game like that doesn't deseve to be played fo long.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]