[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Nov 13 18:13:07 CET 2004

On Nov 12, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Ben Hawes wrote:

> One of the reasons I feel CoH has done so well is because you can
> create a distinct and /unchanging/ persona in game. Your costume
> is your costume and you don't look complete different every few
> levels, which leads to a greater sense of attachment to your
> avatar. And you can learn to recognise others on sight...

I agree--this is very nice.  While I only played CoH for a few
months (after finding that its gameplay was equally unchanging ;-)),
this one one aspect I really liked.  Another was that you start as a
newbie, but you start as a newbie hero.  You don't start as a
homeless waif with a dull butter knife who is forced to go kill
rabbits in order to sell their skins to buy a fork with which you
can kill level 2 rabbits, ... ad nauseam.

Increasingly, I hear "leveling" being reframed by experienced
players as "catching back up."  I find this really, really
interesting.

Amanda Walker