[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Nov 16 22:03:14 CET 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Amanda Walker wrote:

> Increasingly, I hear "leveling" being reframed by experienced
> players as "catching back up."  I find this really, really
> interesting.

This is the cost of a static skill system--Diablo 2 being a prime
example of an online game where the bulk of play time is spent
"catching up" because the player wanted to try a different char
build.  I'm not sure what the solution is, though this particular
issue has caused me to quit more than one online game in the past.
For Diablo 2 I've considered trying out hacked chars in a local
game, but this seems like a cheap workaround to a problem that could
be better addressed another way.  And it's worth noting that Diablo
1 didn't have this problem as skills were found rather than
purchased via a point system (overall, I found D1 far more "fun"
than D2, largely for this reason).

Sean