[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 23 15:35:04 CET 2004

Fred Snyder wrote:

> Calling it unforgivable doesn't change the fact that these bugs
> occur in applications, games or not.  We should strive to keep
> them from happening, but we still need a strategy to deal with the
> ones we miss or can't predict.

I want to elaborate on this a bit. A (large) game project will have
anywhere between 10 and 100 programmers (I think 100 might be a
grossly off either way, but I don't think the guesstimate's
correctness matters much in this argument). They'll spend fulltime
on getting the game to work, and only a part of it will be spent on
tracking down and killing bugs. Especially when the most abusable
bugs are nontrivial interactions between otherwise non-related game
subsystems.

Now you open the game and let 100,000-10,000,000 users on your
playground. Many of them will spend more than 8 hours/day on your
game. Will they spot vastly more details than the developers, no
matter what 'sound engineering practices' the developers employ? You
bet!

    Miro