[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Wed Nov 24 00:59:04 CET 2004

JC wrote:

>   You may note that I never mention games[1].  For a host of
>   reasons, many historical, some quite personal and others joking
>   or quite serious, I find "MUD" as both a stand-alone word and an
>   expansible acrynym to be an accurate and punnish term to
>   reference such services.

It's an acronym well-rooted in history.  But one that's also not
suited to the commercial marketplace. Some here aren't concerned
with that at all, and that's fine.  But others have to be.

Personally, I tend toward "virtual world" when pressed.  I'd like to
find something better -- "virtual" equates to "hopeful" or even
"nebulous" and "world" has grandiose connotations.  Not good things
when talking to skeptical investors, publishers, or potential
partner/customers who don't know a mob from a noob.

>     [1] Why not require them to be games?  Because my definition
>     of what forms a game is a little more generous than some and
>     I'd rather not get involved in having to argue over what is or
>     is not a game.

While virtual worlds have thus far been primarily focused around
entertainment activities, this is changing quickly.  Any definition
that relies on games or entertainment -- or even hints at them --
will be left in the dust of history.

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy