[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Nov 24 21:46:26 CET 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:44:20 -0500
Tom Hunter <thunter at compassrosegames.com> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Raph Koster <Koster> wrote:

> Raph, JC and others are describing the "system" (a word I am using
> because there is not agreement to use MUD, VW or another term) in a
> way that is not many steps away from a design document.

This is an excellent point.  Most of us are some form of engineer-type,
and so tend towards terms which are constructed and defined in an
engineering manner.  Ultimately the final term is almost certain to be a
Xerox-style bastard: some token (like "Xerox") taken out of context and
used much more widely and generically than the original ever could be.

And, FWLIW, that's the reason I expect that we're not going to be the
ones to coin or define the term.

I also have a very strong suspicion that long term there's no need or
value in having such a term, and that the use and value of the term is
only present during these early days of computer/network penetration
into everyday life.

--
J C Lawrence