[MUD-Dev] Richard A. Bartle talks MUD Design

Ken Snider ksnider at flarn.com
Wed Nov 24 21:56:07 CET 2004

Johan wrote:

> At the end of the day, I must say I prefer instances when it comes
> to the very high end gameplay. Lower and mid levels should be kept
> in open dungeons to help build friendships and community. When you
> are in the high end you tend to play with your guild and don't
> care much for meeting new people who might interfere.

The problem with this, however, is that the assumption is that
everyone will eventually enter a guild, and choose to perform as
you've indicated above. Those who wish to remain guildless and join
"pick up groups" may well prefer non-instanced areas.

the Everquest II method is interesting. They have instanced
dungeons, but they also have instanced zones where you're not there
exclusively with your group - this offers the flexibility of
choosing to be "alone" in a dungeon with your group (or raid) if you
so choose, and at the same time, you can hunt "in public" with the
ability to go to another instance if you find what you want to be
camped.

I really think it comes down to choice. If you try to force a
playerbase any particular route, you run across the "Can't please
everyone" issue. If you offer choices, people will gravitate to the
method that most appeals to them.

--
Ken Snider