[MUD-Dev] Challenging the grind - take 2

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Sat Nov 27 13:34:15 CET 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:

Thanks for the overview. That's a handy introduction to the topic
for newcomers.

> What would be required to break away from this little trap, which
> makes games more linear and encourages players to grind XP?

> The simple answer is to make the game gives out rewards according
> to a character's power, not level. If you do so, then you no
> longer need artificial level limits. You do not need to couple
> equipment and level. If a "twinked" level 5 character kills level
> 10 content with the same ease as a level 5 character, then he gets
> as much XP as a level 5 character would.

How is this different from the exponential XP reward we were talking
about a couple of months ago?

I'm not sure, but it seems that what you're suggesting is a subset,
and a bit worrying too because although it fixes a low risk/high
reward it does nothing to give people a high risk/reward o - it
fundamentally encourages people to "not bother" getting better
equipment.

You can make up for this by making other content (e.g. fancy spells,
sub-games, certain quests) linked to particular hard-to-get
equipment, but ultimately I wonder if your scheme just ends up being
a lot less fun, much like the AC2 "improvements" to getting loot
etc, which must have seemed a good idea but took away much of the
fun.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

Adam M