[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Wed Aug 11 17:35:29 CEST 2004

Michael Hartman wrote:
> Douglas Goodall wrote:

>> It is definitely go-go-go all the time, however, which is wonderful.

> For a single player game, absolutely.  For an MMORPG, heck no.

The entire conversation is a good read but the snippet above speaks
volumes to me.

In our desire to design the perfect game for ourselves we need to
remember that the world is filled with customers who like many
different things. The opinion expressed above could be and often is
treated as gospel by many designers. "It's good for a single player
game but terrible for an MMO!".

There are certainly several cases where this rule is true. CoH is
proof, with several hundred thousand paying subscribers, that it is
not absolute. Millions of players have gone through our collective
doors and a fragment of them have stayed. Why? Because more often
than not, they collectively don't like what we're doing. We talk of
niche markets and we talk of expanding our user base. CoH, as one of
many who will coninue on the same path, apparently does it different
and apparently lots of people show that they like it with their Visa
card.

For some people go-go-go is exactly what MMOs have been missing.