[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Thu Aug 12 08:23:47 CEST 2004

Dana V. Baldwin wrote:

> There are certainly several cases where this rule is true. CoH is
> proof, with several hundred thousand paying subscribers, that it
> is not absolute.

How is it proof? The game is a few months old and it is the first
comic book themed MMORPG. The game also WORKED at launch (which is
still an accomplishment for MMORPGs). It was enormously hyped with
tremendous advertising (both paid and free).

If you want to judge whether or not its core game design is
successful, you need to wait a few years.

> Millions of players have gone through our collective doors and a
> fragment of them have stayed.

Brad McQuaid wrote a day or so ago that EQ has 60% retention. That
is hardly a fragment. Threshold has TONS of players that first
created 8 years ago.

> For some people go-go-go is exactly what MMOs have been missing.

We'll see.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.