[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Thu Aug 12 03:17:21 CEST 2004

Paul Schwanz wrote:

> I, personally, have established very few social or community bonds
> through typical MMORPG gameplay.  In fact, I can't think of a
> single instance.  Instead, most MMORPG friendships that I've had
> have come

Anecdotally, a friend of mine and I were waiting at a starport in
SWG to go hunting.  Another player introduced herself and joined us.

About 5 months ago, he caught a plane to be with her, and in a few
weeks he will be back here, with her to follow when she has cleared
up some paperwork, at which time I understand they plan to marry.
They both still play.

That's a pretty solid social bond established through the forced
downtime of SWG's transport system.

By contrast, I never felt confident enough in available time to join
a group with strangers, and rarely encountered the same individual
twice by chance, so I didn't form any new social bonds.  I handed
the "keys" to my account over to a friend a few months back.

--
bje