[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Europe & Distrubution

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Tue Nov 2 17:31:32 CET 2004

HRose wrote:

> This is what appeared on DAoC's grab bag: "By the way, every
> expansion we're asked, nay, begged to sell the expansion as a
> download and additional copies as simple CD keys. I sure wish we
> could - as a consumer who finds that daylight burns, I infinitely
> prefer downloads and shopping online. However, our deal with our
> distributor totally precludes us from offering the annual retail
> expansion as a download or online CD keys. You all will be the
> first to know if that ever changes, I promise."

> The point to underline is that the needs and purposes of the
> distributors don't match anymore the needs and purposes of these
> games.

Well let's not forget that the relationship with the distributor is
a choice. And its often made with good reason. The general
distribution deal, which allows you to purchase the game online or
at the store in a box, usually with a marketing campaign to boot, is
a proven winner. Sure we sell plenty of CD keys online and have for
the past couple years since we went to online distro. Not too shabby
for no marketing budget to speak of but no where even remotely close
to what our traditional distro did at launch.

Online sales are right for some projects but have yet to prove
themselves for mainstream products but its only a matter of time.